Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Last of Times...




Name:  Feet
Age: 23 Years Old
Size: 11.5ish
General Interests:  Walking around, running, jumping, stinking, not getting cut by stuff, not being forced into shoes, massages.
Personality Type: Kind of like mine. Just like mine, in fact.


Two gentlemen about to experience the wetness of the Atlantic...
...in April.
This weekend I accomplished something. I finally saw the Atlantic Ocean with my own two eyes. It turns out it looks suspiciously similar to the Pacific Ocean. I didn’t experience it personally, but apparently it was just about as wet too.

I was a little bit underwhelmed.

Still, the weekend was not a waste. It’s hard for it to be one when you go camping with 115 people on an island populated with wild ponies. I got the required sunburn, campfire smoke exposure, little-to-no-sleep, and exhaustion that often accompany camping. It’s possible that all contributed to me getting the flu as I arrived home on Sunday night. What a weekend.

It’s with the epic weekend in mind that I am bringing up a tough subject. This post will be the last of my “regular programming.” Yes, you read that right: A Reason to Put On My Shoes is going on semi-permanent hiatus.

Over the last 2-3 months, I have faithfully updated each week (even last week, though that was kind of cheating). I have enjoyed going on hikes, bike rides, and canoe trips, all with the goal of having an activity to blog about. I wanted to be able to say that I found “A Reason to Put On My Shoes.”

What happens when a wild pony comes into your campsite to eat trash.
However, over the course of time, my blog has been so successful at its intended goal that I no longer have time to keep it updated. At first, it was a new and exciting venture. Now, it is actually keeping me from participating in shoe-wearing-activities. Ironic? Yes. Tragic? Some might say so.

What a campsite of 100+ people looks like
Please, Dear Reader, I do not want you to fret. There may be updates from time to time in the future. I have enjoyed providing you with entertainment in the form of my oft ridiculous muses.  Maybe, just maybe, I was even able to help convince you to embark on similar adventures with the goal of shrugging off the shackles of boredom and inactivity, much like the reaction a fat person has when watching the Biggest Loser on TV. If I dug just one of you out of the pit of boredom and blandness that often accompany your daily lives, then this blog has become even more successful than I ever dreamt.

Charlie!!! With sand in his mouth...Classic.

Ultimately, however, the purpose has been met. I no longer play video games on Saturday afternoon. Heck, I barely play them at all. I’ve become more integrated into this not-so-great city of DC. I have friends. I have fun. I have a life. I’m putting on my shoes and taking them off with regularity.  

So, I must thank you, Dear Reader, for that which you have helped me accomplish. From the beginning I have aimed only for your entertainment. By accomplishing that, I have found a life worth living. I have found tasks worth doing.

Most importantly, I no longer lack A Reason to Put On my Shoes.  

Goodbye...for now...




4 comments:

  1. You're such a tease Tommy...you'd barely gotten started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened--did your shoes get too cool for the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just taking a break to curate "ARTPMS 2.0 : Tommy's Extended Rants on Video" blog, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...I thought @Alan wrote "armpits 2.0" which somehow seemed a natural progression from shoes...

    ReplyDelete